Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Frankie O

I'm hi and I'm bye, wait, I mean I'm straight

So unless you have no internet presence or no interest in hip-hop at all, you probably heard that Frank Ocean came out on his Tumblr last night.  He confessed that his first love was a guy, and gave us some insight into that situation...which if you've actually loved someone, you could probably empathize.  Because we're a largely homophobic and "masculine" culture, you can imagine how the hip-hop community as a whole reacted.  I will say that I saw a lot more people saying "who cares" or "great!  Hopefully he can be a beacon for other LGBTs in hip-hop" than I thought I would.  Honestly, for the most part, I didn't see the typical jokes and such that surrounded Omarion, for example, when he came out as bisexual.  This makes me happy as a progressive AND as a Black man.  The quicker we realize that sexual orientation is really one of the many things that we shouldn't GIVE ANY FUCKS about, the quicker we can move on to real shit that actually negatively affects our communities.  Sadly, there was still a substantial amount of "hate" (I'm hesitant to use this word; it's the internet, people talk shit just to talk shit) so I felt like I had to comment on it.

The shit is ridiculous.  I can go around and see niggas happily rapping along to niggas that you KNOW are frauds.  I know Rick Ross was a CO, but I don't give a fuck because he makes music that I enjoy.  I don't see niggas who listen to Ross saying "shit, I can't even listen to Ross now...he's talking about shit that he probably didn't do," yet half of the shit I read yesterday was "damn...I can't listen to *insert Frank Ocean song here* the same knowing that he was singing to a nigga."  My nigga.  You didn't think about him singing a guy all this time that he was singing shit and you were listening.  Now you hear he's gay and the only thing YOU can think about is that he's singing to a guy?  Yo...maybe YOU have some issues you've got to work out.  I've seen you niggas bump Beyonce and Rihanna and shit....what, do you imagine they're singing to or about you?  Just overall, the shit is annoying as hell.  You make no sense.

Personally?  I can't understand how a guy could be gay.  I'm of the belief that it's not a choice.  Why would you choose to do some shit that could alienate you from your family, friends, community, co-workers, etc.?  And then have to hide the shit until you're inevitably exposed?  In the immortal words of Rick Ross, "NO SIR!  NOT ME!"  Fuck that.  But...despite me not being of that inclination, I'm not going to sit here and say "oh now I can't even listen to his shit, he was probably thinking about a dick, ewwwwwwwww!" on some 2nd grade shit.  No one is saying you have to come out and be like "OMG Based Frank nut on my face!" or some shit like that...but you sound ignorant as fuck saying that you can't listen to a nigga because he's gay.  But...y'all go ahead and cook, I can assure you that the nigga doesn't care if you don't listen to his music anymore anyway, since more than likely you'd just download the shit illegally.

No comments:

Post a Comment