Sunday, October 28, 2012

THIS MY MEEK MILL REVIEW!!!!!!!!

What in the fuck...

Yo.  Readers of this blog know I fucks with Rick Ross and Wale...and French, and Meek.  I fuck with MMG.  I like a lot of what they're doing, even though I'm curious as to if they'll ever switch shit up.  Meek's project is the first debut of an MMG member while being signed to MMG.  Meek's dropped hits, bruh...whether it's "House Party," "I'm a Boss," "Work," or "Tupac Back," dude has put in serious work making hood hits.  I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Meek's album, but I guess I had a decent idea...Meek hasn't had too much variety in his material, but it's worked for him, so I was excited for this debut to drop.  After listening to Kendrick's arguable masterpiece, I figured I could listen to anything and still be in a decent mood...so I went ahead and copped that Meek.


This is actually kinda dope


1. Dreams and Nightmares - Man, this is dope.  I like the beat shift, I like the demeanor shift in Meek when the beat changes, I like that he jacked Lil Mouse's shit, I like damn near everything about this track.  Considering what I'm presuming the album is going to be about, even the subject matter is dope.  When people heard this from the listening session, I heard a lot of people saying great things about the intro, and I completely see why...this was a great way to start the album.  - 4.5/5


2. In God We Trust - Never heard of this Black Metaphor nigga before, but his drop was kinda dope.  The beat is typical MMG shit...sounds dark, has some bump, really sets the tone for what the album's gonna sound like...typical Ross/Meek shit.  The formula's worked, so I guess there's no complaint, but this one isn't as good as the intro.  Meek sounds a little tired, which is wild considering...yea.  Also, how many times is Meek gonna rap about field niggas vs. house niggas?  Anyway, this one is cool, but nothing special - 3/5


3.  Young And Gettin It (Ft. Kirko Bangz) - I've listened to the album like 10 times by now and I have yet to finish this track. - 1/5


4. Traumatized - Meek lowkey has nice introspective raps as well.  You don't hear them as often as the bangers, but he's got some sorta deep shit as well.  "You ripped my family apart, and made my momma cry...so when I see you nigga, it's gon' be a homicide"...it's not all "House Party" over here.  He speaks on part of the reasoning behind him getting into the drug lifestyle and such in the first place, and like most people, they aren't exactly bad reasons.  Still though, this sounds like the kind of track that Joe Budden would do better with.  - 3.5/5


5. Believe It (Ft. Rick Ross) - I GOT THAT JUSTIN BIEBER PLEASE BELIEVE IT!  It's always hilarious to hear the new white person that rappers are using to refer to cocaine.  There's no surprise on this track at all, really.  The beat is hard, the subject is drug shit...Meek and Ross are true professionals at making bangers like this though.  At this point, I kinda feel like Ross left some tracks on the table for Meek's debut rather than steal them for his album a la Jay-Z.  Ross really does a lot of shit the right way...this track is another example of that - 4/5


6. Maybach Curtains (Ft. Nas, Rick Ross, and John Legend) - Speaking of shit Ross does right...he really has Nas and John Legend on his payroll.  I feel like Ross just wakes up in the morning, decides he needs John Legend for a track, and John's there by the end of the day, no matter what he's doing.  The funny shit is that Ross has Omarion on the label, but he recognizes that John Legend is much better at what he needs for these tracks.  I don't think I've heard a bad track with Ross and Legend, and adding Nas makes it pretty much impossible to fuck up.  The beat is on some true "Maybach Music" shit, and the bars are typical bars from each of them really...again, nothing phenomenal from a rapping standpoint, but man, John Legend can belt out vocals. - 4.5/5


7. Amen (Ft. Drake and Jeremih) - Oh yea, Ross also has Jeremih on the payroll.  Man, MMG just makes good moves.  This is a dope single...caused some controversy, has one of the "hottest" artists in hip-hop featured, and it's catchy as hell.  Hilarious hearing Drake rap about buying drugs though...this nigga only has 2 settings, and he does both of them on this.  He's either rapping about being a soft Capt. Save-A-Ho or he's rapping about some drug/hood shit that he was never a part of in any type of way.  Somehow though, even Drake being Drake doesn't really fuck this track up.  I like it - 3.5/5


8. Young Kings - Doesn't this just sound like another "Maybach Music" knockoff?  Is that gonna be Meek's lane?  Basically a poor man's Rick Ross (with a little more street tales)?  Hahaha I'm not entirely mad at that direction, but man...that's kinda wack.  There's no real variety between Meek and Ross' beats at this point, but again, Ross has dope beats, so it's not really a huge problem.  Again, noting really special about this track, but it's not bad.  Feeling kinda redundant at this point, but that's probably MMG-fatigue more than anything with the album.  - 3.5/5


9. Lay Up (Ft. Wale, Rick Ross, Trey Songz) - So basically, this is Wale's lane now...I'm gonna do a write up on Wale pretty soon.  I was hoping to get to interview dude, but I've been really slacking on a lot of shit.  Maybe that'll still happen in the future.  Anyway, I knew from the song title that Wale was gonna be on this, which kinda irks me.  Anyway, I don't fuck with these types of tracks at all, even though I see why they're done. - 1/5


10. Tony Story Pt. 2 - And after one of the worst tracks on this album comes this.  Meek's really good at this street tale shit, huh?  The sequel to "Tony Story" from Dreamchasers, "Tony Story Pt. 2" continues the story after Paulie killed Tony...Tony's younger brother came for revenge, but Paulie ends up killing him too.  There's no hook on this, no frills, just some fine storytelling on a minimalist beat.  The windshield wipers going on make you feel like you're in a movie or something...pretty well done.  This might be the best track on the album, to be honest. - 5/5


11. Who You're Around (Ft. Mary J. Blige) - When did Mary get back in vogue?  Now I've heard she's on Kendrick's album, I know she was on Nas' album, and apparently she's on Meek's album?  I guess she's been winning ever since that chicken wraps debacle...the concept of this album is fine...it's a message we've heard more than once, friends turn to foes when you start making money.  Something about this track just feels wrong though.  I don't know if it's the Mary feature, or the beat, or what, but something just feels off.  It sounds a little inspirational or some shit, but this is Meek Mill we're talking about.  Maybe if this was John Legend on the hook, I'd feel a little hype.  Idk.  This isn't a bad track, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to listen to either.  It's not even like Mary sounds bad or anything like that, it's just something isn't working.  - 2.5/5


12. Polo and Shell Tops - The beat on this actually sounds similar to the previous track, which has worked for Ross projects before, but since the beat on the last track didn't really work, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this.  Surprisingly, the beat isn't really the problem with this.  I don't know who is on the hook...is that Meek?  So fucking weird, I hope he never does some shit like that again.  This is kinda the same shit he's been rapping the entire album, which makes sense, but it's also boring.  I don't really want to hear this track again either, but again, I know this isn't a bad track. - 2.5/5


13. Rich and Famous (Ft. Louie V) - This is just so fucking generic.  I know I shouldn't expect that much from Meek, and maybe I'm judging him harshly because of Kendrick's album, but christ, is this another track with autotune?  FOH.  When he's rapping, the shit's not bad, but the hook is TERRIBLE.  I'll pass on this as well. - 2/5


14. Real Niggas Come First - Again, nothing really special from this track, but at least it bangs and doesn't have a cringe-worthy hook.  Really generic shit, but again, I guess I shouldn't really have high expectations for a Meek track.  The beat is fucking great though, and honestly, the track's not terrible for ending the album.  I kinda feel like he should've had French on this though...every MMG release needs at least 2 French features, if only for him to talk shit and be all "HAAANH" on the hook.  Anyway, standard fair here, not bad, not great. - 3/5



Overall, I'm simultaneously content and disappointed.  Meek has some REALLY good tracks on here, but he's got some REALLY bad tracks on here...and a lot of mediocre shit as well.  The Kirko Bangz feature was a terrible look, but it was also the only bad track until "Lay Up."  He bounced back with "Tony Story Pt. 2," the best track on the album IMO, but followed that with a bunch of meh shit.  Disappointing.  Also, there isn't "House Party" or even a "Flexing," which disappointed the fuck out of me.  You make room for a Kirko Bangz feature, but not for a banger?  C'mon Meek, you gotta be better than that.  Anyway, it's looking like Meek is really going to be Ross-lite for MMG...like he said, Ross is the general and he's the lieutenant.  So this album is a lot of stuff you could hear Ross doing, but there were a couple of tracks that I feel Meek pulled off better than Ross could have.  Would have been nice to get "Burn" on the album rather than as a bonus track, but whatever.  The album started well, so I'm really disappointed to give it a 3/5, but it  ended so poorly that I couldn't give it anything higher.  Meek's got potential as one of those hood storytelling dudes...and he can make bangers.  He's gotta stick to his strengths on the next album.

2 comments: